Harry Potter
I spent the evening at Barnes and Noble with two of my friends awaiting the release of the 6th Harry Potter book. I realised by looking around, that this book has found it's way into the hearts of such a wide spectrum of people. There were small children, extreme senior citizens and every age in between. Now here comes my confession, I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series. But like most of the populus, I have seen the movies. :D Yes I know, how can I call my self a reader if I haven't read even one of the books in the most famous series of the last decade? I'm not opposed to reading it. I just am one of those people who doesn't like to do things unless I have the desire to follow through. I would just hate to pick up a book to appease my friends, not be too thrilled with it, put it down, and yet still be bombarded with..."Well? What did you think? Have you finished it yet? Why not?", and countless other questions that I know I've forgotten. I will read the books, just not any time soon.
One more note about the night, is that as we were waiting outside of the store (lounging on the grassy knoll) a car drove by and the passenger stuck his head out of the window and shouted, "Books suck!". It was one of those moments where you shake your head in sheer disbelief that someone would consider that an insult. All it did was make me feel badly for him and his life. How do books suck? I don't understand how the desire to immerse yourself into something that can either entertain or educate you sucks. Let us all bow our heads and pray that that boy doesn't become the next president of the United States.
One more note about the night, is that as we were waiting outside of the store (lounging on the grassy knoll) a car drove by and the passenger stuck his head out of the window and shouted, "Books suck!". It was one of those moments where you shake your head in sheer disbelief that someone would consider that an insult. All it did was make me feel badly for him and his life. How do books suck? I don't understand how the desire to immerse yourself into something that can either entertain or educate you sucks. Let us all bow our heads and pray that that boy doesn't become the next president of the United States.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home