Sunday, July 17, 2005

I can't freakin' believe it!




I've been unsuccessful in finding a store around my home that sells Mexican products. And yet while playing CoH a while back I came upon this lovely little establishment.

How horrible is it that my characters can go buy the fixings for menudo, posole, tamales etc and I can't? Damn I'm hungry now! Mom send me some Goya! :D I'm running out and the only Mexican store I can find is never open. I think they moved to California. :(

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Google for it?

I would probably not buy food on eBay but there are plenty of reputable sites out there, especially for spices which pretty much make the meal.

If you're after weirdo meats those are available but expensive. There's one site that even sells kangaroo, yak and zebra if you're into it.

Besides, most of the stuff you mention is probably available but not under the Mexican names. Look for tripe and hominy for the menudo and posole (the veggie ingredients should be readily available). Tamales are probably trickier, the masa harina (sp?) is the sticky bit. You can probably find it online or at least find a recipe to make your own. Corn husks for wrappers are just too easy to mention :P

You won't find the great little markets with just the right thing in most places, you have to go to the big cities or "cultural centers" but some of the big markets are starting to stock "ethnic" foods/products.

Anyway... I've said it before and I'm saying it again, if it's not on Google it doesn't exist. :P

12:24 AM  
Blogger Neri said...

LOL I can always count on you to surprise me. I had no idea that you would be able to name the ingredients in the dishes that I mentioned. You never cease to astound me. Anyways, I had been talking to K about it today and she also recommended Google. Not particularly to find the items online, but to search for "cultural centers" in the area. I hadn't thought of that, hence the displeasure with CoH having one. :D As for yak, zebra and kangaroo, I'm up for trying anything but not meat bought online. I'm not that brave. Oh, and yes you spelled it correctly.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well duh! There are plenty of people who dislike menudo only because they know it's tripe.

Hominy isn't hard to recognize either and shouldn't be hard to find. If you're in an area that eats grits then hominy isn't far from you either.

If you *do* have a problem finding the tripe, then try a "Google Local" search for a butcher shop. They might not have any on hand since they don't necessarily sell it that often but I'm sure they could come up with some if you let them know a day ahead.

The organ meat thing is so weird. Everyone ate them because they were nutritious and cheap. From one cow you get roughly twice as much "organ meat" as muscle. When people got a little cash (industrial revolution/automobile) going they had to have the expensive stuff to prove their status. Then when everyone started eating steak and hamburger the rich people started eating organ meats again just so they could still claim to be "different" than poor people.

The cows haven't changed!!!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home