Monday, July 18, 2005

Heya

I received an invite to the blog immediately followed by 2 more messages with queries as to why i hadnt joined yet, intermixed with barely concealed threats on my life. Sorry i dont check my email every 30 seconds! ;p Well im here now, happy? Soon enough youl be threatening me if i dont leave heheh.

I dont suppose you mind if Ammy checks it out too?

Well... not much to say except to complain about I5 for CoH which is currently on test. Ammy doesnt like it... well thats an understatement. Ammy claims they killed her 3 favorite toons as well as the high level game. I believe shes exagerating a bit, however im not exactly singing its praises myself. I can understand the changes, but not why theyre being made this long after release. If it was never meant to be this way it should have been changed within months, not over a year later. Theres other ways they could have affected this change without seriously ticking off a great many of their most dedicated customers. Changing the villains instead of the players for example, or changing the way XP is awarded when there is a large level difference. Changing villain AI would perhaps be the most effective although likely the most difficult to implement. Ammy doesnt understand why she cant be 'uber' if she wants to. Nobody else is prevented from being uber, barring poor skill and the failure to actually TRY and make a good character with alittle bit of research. None of us have had a problem being as badass as we want. I attempt to appease her with ramblings of 'balance' and 'challenge' but we have never had a problem finding a challenge if we want one, and balance is relative. Comparing blasters to controllers, how do you balance that?

Anyway, enough of my rambling. If you can shed some light on this for me, as to why being uber if you want to is such a bad thing, i would appreciate it. Im no good at explaining it seeing as how i could care less as long as im still having fun. The point is that she is very likely going to leave the game if the changes go live as they are. I will probably quitting with her in an attempt to 'vote with my feet' in the hope of restoring the game to a state we both enjoy. If it becomes clear that the game is permanantly changed and i still found it to be fun i will be returning, whether she coninues to play or not. I know i will still be able to have fun with my friends =)

3 Comments:

Blogger Neri said...

The threats were forth coming, not included. :D
Anyways, I think that if you and Ammy were to leave the game it would suck for all of us who log on just to be able to play with our friends. I understand her distaste with a change that is legitimately unnecessary. However, I agree with your perspective that it is just a game and that even with the changes she will still be able to have fun. Atleast that is the hope. I genuinely hope that you two decide that the social connection that the game provides for our group of friends is ultimately more important than being ubber. Besides, we're stronger together than we are alone. :)

"Mushy moment provided by:
LIFE
The friend that is always there."

lol I crack me up! And tell Ammy to send me an email and I'll invite her to be a member of my illustrious blog.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Being too uber results in a boring game. You can go dominate somewhere else but in the end if there are no limits to what you can do or where you can go then you lose direction and the game becomes a pretty-fied chatroom.

I face that problem personally because I tend to be a strongly "explorer" typed player. Once I've seen everything I get restless and need new input. With Super Duper Guy I think it's probably easy to see how that could happen. I log in once when nobody is around, I solo for about 5 seconds and find out it isn't fun to solo a tanker, then I run around challenging myself to find every zone I can get into. Then when I've been in every zone possible I'm pretty much instantly bored.

If you're a combat-based player then you can run out of game even quicker. Do one Hamidon raid and you're done. That's pretty well established as *the* end-game encounter. There are no more challenges unless you want to get nitpicky and try to do it with a novel group or impose your own ruleset. "Let's do Hami with only controllers!" or "I'm only going to use my second-most powerful ranged attack!"

This meta-gaming gives you nearly limitless replay potential depending on what kind of player you are. We breathed new life into Mario Kart by battling for second place. The game didn't exactly support this kind of thing but our self-imposed ruleset turned the whole competition upside down and leveled the playing field greatly.

I wouldn't quit over these not-yet-live changes. You're going to "run out of" game sometime but quitting now artificially limits your ability to enjoy what we have now.

As an ex-Creature Handler/Carbineer/Ranger I know what it's like to be nerfed into oblivion and ignored by the devs, this is *not* that dire.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home