Friday, August 26, 2005

Pleasantly Surprised!

While at work the other day I was doing the barista thing and was privy to a conversation between several of the girls in the area. The conversation started out at first as a political debate. Being that I'm in Missouri I had no faith in the fact that anyone here would be able to carry out a respectful, inteligent and well rounded discussion about anything at all. As I listened intently I heard an amazing thing, one of the girls was anti Bush, several of them are democrats and the one chicky who is a republican and did vote for Bush in the last election does not agree with all of his ideals/agendas. That was awesome to hear considering the fact that I expected an all out war.

After being pulled away for a few minutes to attend to a customer I returned to the little group and found them now in the midst of discussing religon. Scarier subject expectations than that of politics. Yet again they were respectful of eachothers ideals and ideologies. I was floored by their candor and complete willingness to listen to what was being said, even if the words being spoken were controdictory to their own views. I loved it. I stood there like a fly on the wall just listening and absorbing the level of intellectuality that I did not expect to find here in this town that thinks it's a city. =)

Please understand that I was not expecting to be afronted with idiocy. But I did expect a bunch of bible beaters and extremist. I think that I started to like it here even more so after listening to them talk about their views. Oh and I can still aford a house on my own in about two, leaning more towards three years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

"does not agree with all of his ideals/agendas."

You'll find lots of people like this on both sides of the political parties. But, I think the Republicans like to claim that this only happens to the Democrats, so that's really really nice to hear :)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home